Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Rhubarb Crumble

Rhubarb crumble is one of my all time favourite desserts. I think I love it so much because it reminds me of my mom and childhood. Every spring she would pick the rhubarb from our garden (one of the very few things we could grow at such a high altitude), and make a huge crumble in a big rectangular ceramic dish that she still uses to this day. I love the contrast between the tart rhubarb and the sweet topping.

However, I stand alone for my love of rhubarb in my household. D hates it, and usually refuses to eat anything involving the tart fruit. I have a mission this year. To get him loving rhubarb. I have succeeded with coconut in the past, and I have faith that I can do it again this year. So, today I made rhubarb crumble, and next week I plan on making rhubarb cupcakes. I am hoping the cupcakes will seal the deal, as coconut cupcakes are what made him fall in love with coconut last year. I make a mean cupcake. So here is the recipe for the crumble:

Rhubarb Crumble


4 cups sliced rhubarb
1/3 cup white sugar

3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour (I used white, but anything would probably work)
1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats
1/3 cup butter, softened
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg


Preheat oven to 375. Place rhubarb in a bowl and coat with sugar. Set aside while you make the topping.



 In a separate bowl, mix together remaining ingredients with your hands until butter is crumbly. Pour rhubarb into a greased pan (any size is fine, the smaller your container, the longer it will take to cook all the way through), and cover with topping. Bake for 30 minutes, or until rhubarb is soft and the top is golden brown. Serve warm with ice cream.


Wish me luck, I am going in armed with rhubarb!

Brenna

No comments:

Post a Comment